Seafood is considered as a better nutrition choice in many parts of the world. In fact, seafood is considered as a better alternative for meat. However, seafood also contains potent allergens that can cause allergies and reactions in people who are sensitive to seafood.
Symptoms of Seafood Allergies:
Fish and shellfish are two broad categories of seafood. Allergic reactions start just within two hours of inhaling cooking vapors or taking seafood. Sometimes reactions may delay up to six hours. The most common symptoms of seafood allergy are – skin, stomach and respiratory problems. When a seafood sensitive person inhales the cooking vapors then he/she starts experiencing respiratory problems.
Tips to Deal With Seafood Allergies
Below are some tips that can help you deal with seafood allergies easily.
- The first fact you need to understand is that seafood allergies may persist for several years.
- You need to get tested for other seafood items though you are found to be allergic to certain seafood items.
- You are advised to avoid any kind of direct or indirect exposure to the seafood items you are allergic to. You should even avoid inhaling the vapors that come when those items are cooked.
- When eating outside take care about what you eat,. Itâ€™s because the seafood you are allergic to may be offered to you in a different name, which you may not understand. And, sometimes, the fish oils they use may create allergic reactions in you.
- Carry an injectable adrenaline syringe. Also, donâ€™t forget wearing a Medical Alert badge.