Allergies

House Dust Allergy – Causes and Remedies

A dust allergy is the body’s over-reaction to a substance in the droppings of dust mites. These tiny particles float around in the air and eventually we inhale them. Dust allergy can occur as a result of outdoor contact or even within the house. You will be surprised to know that even usually clean and hygienically kept houses are likely areas of dust enough to cause allergic reactions.

House Dust

The ingredients of house dust that can cause allergic reaction include moulds, pet and human dander, and cockroach waste. However, the dust mite found in ordinary house dust  acts as the root cause for most of the sniffling and sneezing. The dust mite is a microscopic, spider-like creature which is found in homes. It is primarily in carpets, mattresses and upholstered furniture and thrives in humid and warm conditions. The dust mite feeds on shed scales from human skin! The waste products produced by these mites are highly allergenic (able to cause allergic reaction). These waste products continue to cause allergic symptoms even after the mite that produced them has died.

House Dust Allergy Preventive measures

  • The only way to prevent allergy caused by house mites is to keep the house spic and span all the time and not compromising on hygiene.
  •  Following are some must-follow tips to ensure a mite free home:
  •  Minimise unused items in the house. Give away all worn out things
  •  Never keep the house cluttered or congested. Mites like to thrive among piles.
  •  At least once in a week, hold a cleaning session, covering the entire house. It is a tiring process, but highly rewarding.
  •  Take special care to regularly mop the floor using a mild phenyl. This destroys bacteria.
  •  Keep all things where they ought to be. This serves as the first step towards easier cleaning and minimal clutter.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *