Allergies

Bee Sting Allergies: How to be careful?

People with bee sting allergies need to be careful. A person with bee sting allergy can experience an anaphylaxis, which can be life threatening. If you are allergic to bee stings, be cautious by carrying a self-injectable EpiPen all the time with you.

Symptoms of Allergic Reaction

In a normal reaction to bee sting, there would be swelling, redness, and pain at the site of the sting. Symptoms of an allergic reaction are more severe such as:

  • Dry cough
  • Hives all over the body
  • Itchiness and swelling of the eye area

The above symptoms can lead to anaphylaxis which can be fatal. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include:

  • Difficulty breathing and swallowing
  • Low blood pressure
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest tightness.
  • Loss of consciousness

What should be done immediately?

Epi-pen should be injected immediately after being stung by a bee. Epi-pen is a drug which contains epinephrine and is self-injectable. Epinephrine when injected into the blood stream, will stop the anaphylactic reaction.

Visiting a doctor after injecting the EpiPen would help you to deal with the allergic reaction.

Long-term solutions:

Allergy shots (given for a period of 3 to 5 years) would make the allergic person desensitized to bee sting and prevent an anaphylactic reaction.

How to prevent the Allergic Reaction?

These are the following ways in which you can prevent a bee sting allergy:

  • Stay away from bee hives. If bee hives are present around your house, make sure they are removed or destroyed
  • Avoid wearing bright-colored, white clothes
  • Avoid perfumes or cosmetics with floral scents as they can attract honey bees

Bee stings are very dangerous for people who suffer from bee sting allergy. They cause several deaths each year. As honey bees are aggressive in late summer, it is recommended to stay away from bee hives and carry an EpiPen always.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *