New Study Uses Peanuts to Cure Peanut Allergy

Peanut allergies are on the rise affecting many people. Peanut is also among the top 8 food allergens and can trigger severe allergic reaction. However, researchers from Cambridge Addenbrooke’s Hospital have conducted a study in which the participants were able to overcome their peanut allergy.

Peanut allergy can result in swelling of the tongue and mouth, puffy eyes, rashes, breathlessness. It can also result in anaphylaxic reaction which can be fatal. To avoid anaphylactic reaction, a self-injectable epinephrine such as Epi-Pen should be injected.

The only way to stay safe from peanut allergies is to avoid them completely. In this study, researchers exposed the participants to small amounts of peanut over a period of time. This resulted in increased tolerance to peanuts among the participants

Study by the Cambridge Addenbrooke’s Hospital:

This study was conducted on 4 children who were exposed to tiny amounts of peanuts over a period of 6 months. This quantity was gradually increased. Over a period of time, the kids gradually built tolerance to peanuts. At the end of 6 months, they were successfully able to cope up to 800 mg of peanuts which is equivalent to 5 peanuts.

This method of increasing the allergen dosage to build tolerance is known as desensitization. This method is used to build tolerance to allergies. Desensitization method is used treat wasp and pollen allergies successfully. However, this is the first study which used this method to overcome peanut allergies

The study has now increased its participant count to about 18. If such studies are successful, we may soon have a complete solution for peanut allergy instead of just avoidance

Comments are closed.