How to Prevent Bedding Allergy?
Do you wake up in the morning with watery eyes, runny nose and cough? If this is the case, you might be suffering from bedding allergy. Bedding allergy is caused due to the presence of dust mites, dander, or mold in the bedding. Pillows and blankets can all host these allergens which can in turn cause hay fever symptoms.
Symptoms of Bedding Allergy:
Bedding allergy can cause the various symptoms such as:
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Itchiness of skin
The dust mites are the major source of bedding allergy. These tiny creatures feed on the skin flakes of human beings. The dust mites themselves do not cause allergies, but their corpses and feces can trigger allergies. Similarly, pet dander can stay in the bedding and cause allergy.
Preventing Bedding Allergy:
- Use hypo-allergenic bedding. These products contain tiny pores on the fabric which prevent the allergens from entering into the bedding
- Use hypo-allergenic covers. These covers can be zipped over the pillows and mattresses. They also prevent the entry of allergens
- Wash the pillows and other bedding in hot water as this can help in killing the dust mites. Wash the bedding at 130 degrees F, once a week, to destroy the dust mites
- Remove stuffed toys from the bedding as they can accumulate dust
- Use a dehumidifier and a HEPA filter to minimize the allergens
- Avoid allowing your pet dog or cat into the bedroom. The pet dander can accumulate in the bedroom and cause allergies
Bedding allergy can be prevented by taking simple steps to keep the dust mites away and avoiding the pets into the bedroom. So, keep your bedroom free from allergens and have a proper sleep daily.