Effects of Salicylate Allergy
Salicylate chemicals are natural plant products. These are core ingredients of aspirin. Other materials such as food, beauty and health products also contain good number of salicylate products.
Some people have high intolerance for salicylates. They develop adverse reaction even if minute increases occur in their intake. The effects of salicylate and the allergic reactions vary a great deal. But the following symptoms are more common.
Symptoms of Salicylate Allergy
- Trouble breathing and wheezing (Typical asthmatic symptoms)
- Frequent headaches
- Severe nasal congestion
- Changes in skin colour
- Itching, Redness, skin Rashes and hives
- Swelling of the limbs and face
Sever Effects of Salicylate Allergy
Life threatening anaphylactic reactions occur in extreme cases. The whole body reacts adversely to the increased intake of salicylate. It leads to hypo tension (drastic fall in blood pressure), loss of consciousness and even multi organ failure.
Salicylate Containing Substances
The following is the list of consumer items that contain salicylate. This is to help the reader in his/her consuming choices.
Foods Containing Salicylate
- Most of the fleshy fruits and berries
- Vegetables such as radishes, egg plants, cucumbers, broad beans, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach and hot peppers.
- Some types of cheeses.
- Herbs, spices and condiments such as dry spices, vinegar tomato paste, jams, jellies and sauces.
- Commonly consumed beverages such as herbal tea, coffee, beer, wine and rum.
- Nuts such as peanuts, pine nuts, pistachios and almonds.
- Some candies, such as peppermints, licorice, and mint-flavoured gum and breath mints.
- Ice creams and gelatin.
Consumer Products Containing Salicylate
- Some of the commonly used fragrance and perfumes.
- Shampoos and conditioners.
- Some types of herbal remedies
- Cosmetics such as lipsticks, skin cleansers an conditioners
- Mouth wash and mint flavoured tooth pastes
- Shaving creams and sun creams
- Muscle pain creams
- Alka Seltzer
Other Ingredients Containing Salicylates
- Acetylsalicylic acid
- Artificial food colouring and flavouring
- Beta-hydroxy acid
- Magnesium salicylate
- Salicylic acid
- Phenylethyl salicylate
- Sodium salicylate