Allergies

What is Ring Allergy?

Ring allergy is caused due to the nickel present in the metal. Mostly, jewellers use nickel, copper or zinc in the gold. However, in most cases, nickel is the culprit behind the allergy. Nickel is also used in white gold and other metals. The only way to prevent ring allergy would be to choose nickel-free jewelry. Switching to titanium, or other metals can prevent the allergy.

If you experience nickel allergy, it is important to get yourself to get tested. Once the allergy-causing metal is determined, you can avoid that metal and be free from allergies.

Symptoms of Ring allergy:

Ring allergy results in contact dermatitis. Here are few of the symptoms:

  • Rash
  • Redness
  • Itchiness
  • Hives
  • Swelling or blistering

If you experience the above symptoms at the site of contact of your ring, you might be experiencing ring allergy.

Sweat, Moisture and Ring allergy:

Sweat and moisture can also cause ring allergy. When the ring is wet, it is more likely to trigger allergies. After bathing or washing dishes, if you rings gets wet, you develop an allergy. Hence, it is recommended to keep your ring dry.

How to prevent Ring allergy:

  • Choose nickel-free metal
  • Keep your ring dry
  • Choose gold which is nickel free
  • Switch to safer metals such as titanium
  • Apply two or three coats of transparent nail polish on the inner side of your ring. This can help you to prevent direct contact with the metal and prevent allergy

Skin testing is conducted to check for allergies. Do consult your allergist to get yourself tested. Once your allergy is determined, you can take steps to avoid the allergic metal and free from allergies.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *