When to see an allergy specialist

This article will advise you on allergy treatment and give you information about the symptoms of allergies in order for you to know if your allergy is severe enough for you to need an allergy specialist to treat your condition.

Asthma and allergic rhinitis are the most common forms of allergy. There are so many people affected by these conditions that there are not enough allergists or immunologists to treat all the people. Therefore it is important to know when you have symptoms of allergy that are severe enough to call for a visit to the doctor. Here are some guidelines, which will tell you when seeing an allergy specialist or immunologist is in order. These are intended for sufferers of hay fever, asthma or other nasal or airway conditions.

Seek the help of an allergist if you:

Have allergy symptoms for more that 3 weeks.
Have a cough and asthma at the same time
Have a chronic cough and runny nose at the same time
Have cough with tobacco use

Where to find an allergist

There are several ways to find a qualified allergist. Some of these methods include asking your doctor, friends or your insurance company. Your doctor should know where to refer you but if not your insurance company might have a list available of allergy specialists. If your friends have undergone treatment they might have valuable information which can help you.

How to asses if an allergist is right for you

Find out the following about your allergist:

What is his or her training in immunology
How long has he or she been practicing
Is your allergist board certified

You should choose a doctor that you are comfortable with, someone who can explain your condition to you in a way that you can understand. By finding a doctor that understands your condition and your need you are able to get the best results.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *