Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac Rashes
Poison ivy, oak and sumac rashes are a condition called allergic contact dermatitis. This means that when you come into contact with these plants, you experience different kinds of allergic symptoms. The symptoms are confined to the area where the plant touches your skin.
Causes of the Sumac Rashes
Oil, that is contained in these plants causes the rash. Not everyone is allergic to these plants but it is very common to be afflicted. You may also experience symptoms from touching something that has got the oil of these plants rubbed on it, such as clothing or gardening shears.
Symptoms of the Sumac Rashes
Redness in the are
Small pumps or large raised areas called hives
Blister which are fluid filled
Swelling of skin, mouth, eyelids or genitals
The rash appears usually around 8 to 48 hours after contact with the plant. It is not contagious. Only the parts of your skin, which have had contact with the plant or where the oil of the plant has been spread, are at risk.
How to Treat the Sumac Rashes
If you come into contact with these plants, wash your skin thoroughly.
Wash your clothes
Apply cool compressors to your skin
Calamine lotion and hydrocortisone can relieve the itch
Use antihistamine if the reaction gets severe
Steroids can be used to alleviate the symptoms in severe cases of the rash or swelling
If gardening tools have been in contact with the plant, use rubbing alcohol to clean them.
Do not burn poison ivy. The smoke can also cause allergic reactions
These are the best ways to treat rash caused by poison ivy, oak or sumac. Try to avoid being affected by these symptoms by wearing long sleeves and pants when there is a possibility to come into contact with these plants.