Allergies

Hemlock Allergy

Hemlock is an extremely poisonous plant. The botanical name of Hemlock is Tsuga canadensis, which belongs to Apiaceae family. It is also called Water Hemlock. Consumption of hemlock might cause allergy in some people as well as in livestock.

Hemlock is native to mostly northern hemisphere, which includes the United Kingdom and the United States. The habitat of this plant is mostly the moist areas like marshes and meadows etc. Its allergic reactions in people requires immediate medical attention to prevent death. Some symptoms of hemlock allergy are described in this article.

Symptoms of Hemlock Allergy

The toxins which are found in hemlock are oenanthotoxin and cicutoxin. These chemicals interrupt the neurotransmitters communication. This leads to ataxia (involuntary muscle contractions and seizures). Seizures are the serious problems and may lead to death of the person if not treated immediately. Some symptoms of hemlock allergy are as follows:

  • Vomiting and Nausea

    – When a person first ingests hemlock, he might experience nausea, vomiting and extreme pain in abdomen. It may result just after 15 minutes of plant ingestion. In some people, seizures may occur first. Poison in hemlock may cause kidney failure if a person fails to get the treatment in time.

  • Change in Heart Rate

    – The toxins present in hemlock affect the neurological functions, the patient experiences fast and low heart rate (tachycardia and bradycardia). It can result in failure of cardiovascular system. The high and low heart rate may result in high blood pressure for a small time period.

  • Breathing Difficulty

    – Patients require an air tube because their breathing rates are affected. There can be a complete loss of breathing ability on their own. Thus, a patient with hemlock allergy should be given an immediate treatment.

The above are some of the symptoms of hemlock allergy.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *