What are the Ways to Prevent Allergic Reactions?
Allergic symptoms occur when the immune system of the body becomes hypersensitive to pollens, dust particles, animal or plants dander. Sometimes in some people, some medications or foods can also trigger allergies. Allergies can lead to various body reactions such as sneezing, rashes, itchiness, watery eyes, coughing and wheezing. If the allergy symptoms are mild, it can be treated at home. When the symptoms occur for a long time, these require prescription from a doctor. Some of the effective ways to prevent allergic reactions are as follows:
Methods to Prevent Allergic Reactions
Some of the effective methods to prevent allergic reactions are as follows:
– Antihistamines can be taken to get relief from skin inflammations, nasal allergies, watery and itchy eyes which are commonly caused by flower, grass or animal dander. Non drowsy antihistamines should be taken so that you can remain active throughout the day.
– These creams are anti-inflammatory and used to get relief from redness or itching from clothing allergy reactions. To get relief from skin irritation caused by clothes, ice pack or a wet cloth can heal the skin irritation. If ice is not available, wrap frozen vegetables in a towel.
– If above solutions fail to give you relief, you can visit a doctor for a prescription anti-histamine. Cetrizine can be taken for an indefinite time to help relieve symptoms of allergy due to pollen, dust, mold or animal dander. Doctor can prescribe a decongestant if you are suffering with sinus or runny nose due to pollen in air as counter drug won’t work.
– If antihistamines fail to provide relief, you can take nasal corticosteroid spray to treat allergic reactions. It can be taken daily without any side effects.
– You can go for allergy shots or immunotherapy if you encounter frequent allergy. In this treatment, you are given antigens shots in stages. It desensitizes the body towards allergen.
Emergency Room visit
– When you experience symptoms such as severe hives, stomach pains, swelling, vomiting and breathing difficulty, you should immediately go the emergency room. These type of allergic symptoms occur mainly due to eggs, peanuts, milk or seafood. Insect stings can also lead to hives and swellings.
The above are some of the ways to prevent allergic reactions.