What are Mold Mildew Allergy
Mold is a organic growth caused by several types of fungi, while mildew is a mold that grows on fabric. Mold and mildew can be toxic and can cause various types of allergic symptoms in some people. Molds can produce various toxic chemicals such as mycotoxins, which is highly toxic.
Mold spores are usually found in the damp places in home such as bathrooms, basements and even in potted plants. These are present floating in the air and also in piles of grass and leaves. Some symptoms of mold and mildew allergy are discussed in this article. These symptoms can be severe or mild and can be caused for year long.
Symptoms of Mold and Mildew Allergy
Some of the important symptoms of mold and mildew allergy are as follows:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose
- Sensitivity to light
- Breathing difficulty
- Hives and skin rashes
- Watery and itchy eyes
- Dryness in the throat back
Asthma patients find their symptoms get worsen due to exposure to mold and mildew. People without asthma problem can also get asthma symptoms when they are exposed to mold and mildew. Molds can be present on our food like breads and when we ingest these spores, we can suffer with the above symptoms. After ingesting molds, some allergic people can also suffer with the symptoms with indoor and outdoor mold exposure.
You should suspect mold allergy when you have chronic allergy symptoms, especially when you are working in a library, factory, farm or on a basement, or when you live in an old home, wooded area o a basement apartment. You should also suspect mold allergy when you smoke, drink alcohol on a regular basis and crave for sweets and eat large proportion of mold containing sweets and other foods.