What are Common Allergy Triggers?
More than 20% of Americans suffer from various kinds of allergies. Allergy can be caused from any thing and any substance within an individuals environment. An allergy is basically an abnormal reaction by body to a foreign substance in the body, which is called an allergen. Some reactions are triggered by an allergen as the immune system of our body releases histamine to fight with an allergen. Though, allergic symptoms commonly manifests to redness, hives and itching, but at times these can be fatal.
The article talks about some common allergy triggers, which can range from mild to life threatening ones. read on for to get more information on common allergens.
Common Allergy Triggers
Some of the most common allergens which lead to allergic reactions in 1/5th of American population are as follows:
– When a person is exposed to pollen of weeds, grasses and trees then some allergic reactions are triggered and it will lead to seasonal allergies or hay fever. These symptoms can include nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes. Cure from pollen allergy includes prescription drugs, over-the-counter products and allergy shots. Staying indoors and closing windows during spring season can prevent pollen allergy symptoms.
– Allergic reactions can be caused in humans by animal’s skin and their saliva. The allergy can take several years to develop and symptoms can not reduce until several months after ending the contact with animal. Make your bedroom pet free if your pet is causing allergy and bathe them regularly. HEPA filter can also be beneficial to make your home allergen free.
– Some people can develop life threatening allergic reaction due to insect stings. These symptoms include redness and excessive swelling, which may last for a week, fatigue, nausea and fever. Hives, breathing difficulty, swelling of the face, mouth or throat rapid pulse, acute drop in pressure and dizziness can also be seen. It is recommended to take allergy shots to avid anaphylaxis in future due to insect stings.
– Molds can lead to various allergic problems in people. Molds are mostly found in damp place such as bathrooms or basements and also in grasses and mulches.
– Some foods can be allergen to most people such as shellfish, milk, nuts and wheat. Allergic reactions can occur within minutes of taking an allergic food. Its symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, hives, asthma and swelling around mouth etc. Avoiding these foods is the best way to prevent food allergy. Steroids or antihistamines are recommended to take if you are exposed to food allergy. Epinephrine injection is also recommended when the situation is life threatening.
– Latex is generally found in condoms, gloves and some other devices. These can lead to latex allergy in some people. Its symptoms can include runny nose, eye irritation, skin rash,wheezing, sneezing and itching on the skin. Allergic reactions from skin can range from itching, redness to anaphylaxis.
– Aspirin or penicillin can lead to allergies in some people, which can range from mild to life threatening condition. It also includes symptoms such as congestion, itchy eyes, hives and swelling in the throat and mouth. It is recommended to avoid these drugs altogether. Steroids and antihistamines are recommended to take and bronchodilators can be prescribed to treat cough and lung congestion.
– Perfumes found in scented candles, perfumes, cosmetics and laundry detergent can have severe to mild allergic symptoms in some people. Symptoms can get reduced in some people when scent is out of range, but in some people symptoms can last long.
– Some people can be allergic to cockroaches as they are creepy and not liked by anyone. The protein present in their feces can irritate the skin when a person comes into with it.
The above are some of the common allergy triggers. It is advised to consult a doctor when you first any symptoms of allergy.