Allergy to Chlorine
Chlorine is a widely used chemical in household and industrial applications. It is a reactive element and thus never found alone in nature. For commercial use, it is prepared by passing electricity through a solution prepared from molten sodium chloride and water or sodium chloride. It is available in granules, gas, liquid and powder form. It is used in refrigerants, plastics, paper, paints, solvents, metals, explosives, dyes, textiles, insecticides, antiseptics, medications, foods and as a water purifier. As this is used in many ways, it may trigger allergic reaction. Allergy to chlorine develops when your immune system reacts by causing an adverse reaction to any substance which contains chlorine.
Allergy to Chlorine – Symptoms:
Many reactions which occur in people after exposing themselves to chlorine are usually mild. It is must to identify the allergies, and also find ways to prevent them from occurring again. Following are the symptoms of chlorine allergy.
As eyes are highly sensitive, they get irritated or affected quickly if exposed to irritants. If a person comes in contact with gas variant or chlorinated water, eyes get irritated easily and starts swelling, burning, itching, redness and pain. In some cases, eye lashes fall off that is accompanied with watery eyes.
Exposure to chlorine afflicts the respiratory system of a person. Generally people suffer from the signs of mimicking asthma such as a feeling of chest tightness, shortness of breath, sneezing, coughing, wheezing and in severe cases, a feeling of suffocation.
This is the first symptom of allergic reaction to chlorine. Dry skin can be felt immediately as the person comes in contact with household products which contain chlorine or chlorinated water. The affected area feels itchy, tight and goes red, and in severe cases it may even peel off.
Apart from skin dryness, some people may also develop lesions with or without water or rashes. This causes itching of lesion. For many people, it may develop in an hour as they come in contact with chlorine. Usually, localized rash disappears in a couple of hours. If the volume of chlorine is large, rashes begin to itch and the skin starts peeling off.
If the amounts of chlorine a person is exposed is high, he may feel nauseated and/or vomit. Sometimes directly breathing or swallowing chlorine fumes or gases may make a person dizzy and delusional for a short period.