Allergies

What is Shellfish Allergy?

shelfish-ellergyShellfish is the most common food allergy. If you are allergic to shellfish, you might have been allergic only to some kinds of shellfish or you might be allergic all kinds of shellfish. Shellfish includes marine animals with shell like shrimp, clams and lobster and also squid and octopus.

Shellfish allergies cause mild symptoms like nasal congestion or hives or most severe and also life threatening symptoms. Sometimes, even a small amount of shellfish causes severe reaction. Below lines give information on the causes, symptoms for shellfish allergy.

Symptoms of Shellfish Allergy:

Symptoms of allergic to shellfish include:

  • Eczema, hives or itching
  • Swelling of the face, throat, tongue and lips, or other body parts
  • Trouble breathing, wheezing or nasal congestion
  • Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea or abdominal pain
  • Fainting, dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Tingling sensation in mouth

Anaphylaxis is a life threatening symptom and is a rare condition. It is medical emergency which needs treatment with an epinephrine injection. Symptoms of anaphylaxis are as follows:

  • Loss of consciousness, dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Rapid pulse
  • Shock with a drastic drop of blood pressure
  • A lump in throat or a swollen throat which causes difficulty in breathing

Although they have similar symptoms, shellfish allergy varies from an adverse reaction to bacteria in food or toxins. This food poisoning does not directly involve in the immune system and develops only when you consume contaminated food. Usually, allergy to shellfish develops every time you consume any kind of shellfish which causes reaction.

Treatment for Shellfish Allergy:

The only way to get rid of an allergic reaction to shellfish is to eliminate shellfish completely. However, if you come in contact with shellfish you may experience some symptoms. If you experience mild reactions, medicines like antihistamine, can help in reducing the symptoms like itchiness and rash. Antihistamines may be used after exposure to shellfish for controlling the reaction and help in relieving discomfort.

If you have a high allergic reaction to the shellfish , you may require an emergency injection of epinephrine. If you are more prone to severe reaction, you can carry a injectable epinephrine with you.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *