Loratadine Side Effects
Loratadin, also called as claritin is long acting tricyclic antihistamine which is used for treating allergies. This medicine reduces the histamines in your body which cause runny nose, itching, sneezing and watery eyes. Though it has benefits, loratadine have some side effects.
Loratidine is not carried to the brain from the blood in body. This is a benefit because it does not cause drowsiness like any other antihistamine. But there can be some side effects of loratidine, which you should be aware of. It may lead to fatigue, headache and dry mouth as some of the common side effects. Some people can even suffer some serious side effects like swelling, hives and irregular heartbeats. Read on for some more information on side-effects of loratidine and the possible precautions we can take to avoid the side effects.
Loratadine Side Effects
Mild side effects include:
- Dry nose
- Dry mouth
- Feeling thirsty
Serious side effects include:
- Severe weakness
- Stomach pain
- Accelerated heartbeats
Even a person can witness more serious side effects. They include:
- Skin rashes
- Breathing difficulty
- Hair loss
Loratadine Side Effects in Children:
This medicine is also available for children above 2 years. It is available in the form of chewable tablets and syrup. For kids of 6 years or above, it can be used as an oral pill which dissolves quickly as it is taken in mouth. However, you must check out for certain side effects of loratadine in children such as:
Infection in respiratory tract such as common cold
- Pain in abdomen
- Conjunctivitis or pink eye
Most of the loratadine side effects are temporary and mild. As your body gets adjusted to loratadine medication, side effects of the drug also subside. However, if any symptom seems to worsen overtime, medical attention must be give immediately. Before taking loratidine, inform your physician and also tell him about other medications if you are taking. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and those who are planning to conceive should take the medicine on doctor’s prescription.
Important Precautions Before and While on Loratadine
Here are some precautions that you should take before and while you are on loratadine
Precautions before you go for Loratadine –
Make sure you:
- tell your doctor about the allergies you have to any drugs
- ask your doctor about the side effects of the specific medicine prescribed for you
- tell your doctor if you have had any Kidney or Liver disease
- tell your doctor if you are planning pregnancy or you are pregnant or breast feeding your child
- tell your doctor if you are planning for any dental surgery
Precautions while you are on Loratadine –
- Avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight, and wear protective clothing, sunglasses and sunscreen. Loratadine may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
- Ask your doctor if you have to follow a specific diet. Usually there is no restriction from regular diet.
- If you happen to miss a dose take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you have taken an overdose rush to your doctor immediately as Loratadine overdose is very dangerous.
- Loratadine can affect blood glucose tests. Mention that you take Loratadine when you are having your blood tested.
This is all about the side effects and the precautions to take before and while on loratadine.