Water Allergy Treatment
Water is considered as an Elixir of life by most people, but unfortunately some people suffer from water allergy. Water allergy causes intense and excessive itching after coming in contact with the water. This is often called Aquagenic Pruritus. As water plays a vital role in our lives, water allergy is considered as the worst allergy to cope with. This article deals with the causes, symptoms and water allergy treatments
Water Allergy Causes:
The exact of water allergy is not certain. Some researchers believe that this type of allergy occurs due to hypersensitivity of the skin to the added ingredients in water which include fluoride, chlorine, mineral deposits or other ingredients. Some researchers also believe that this allergy can be associated to other health conditions such as myelodysplastic syndrome, hypereosinophilic syndrome, juvenile xanthogranuloma and polycythemia vera.
Water Allergy Symptoms:
Mild to severe itching as the skin comes in contact with the water is the most common symptom. Most people also complain about itchiness after rapid drop in temperature or when exposed to very cold temperature. Allergy to water doesnâ€™t show any external symptoms such as hives or rashes which are the most common symptom in other allergic reactions. Itching sensation may last for a few minutes to a few hours based on the sensitivity of skin and degree of the allergy.
Water Allergy Treatment:
Following are some treatment options for water allergy:
- Those who have water allergy develop itchiness in the body as they come in contact with the water. Application of oil based gel or cream prior to taking bath or before going to swimming can give some relief to them. This is because oil forms a coat on body and also the severity of itchiness decreases to maximum amount. In some cases, people can get more itchiness if exposed to the cold water. They can use warm water to get relief from this.
- People must avoid prolonged stay in water if they are allergic to water because it increases the level of itchiness and discomfort.
- Usage of linen fabrics and cotton clothes helps in reducing the severity of symptoms. Synthetic and nylon materials can increase discomfort levels. Sufferers must use pure cotton clothes to pat dry themselves.
- People who are hypersensitive to water can get benefited from photography with filtered UVB or Psoralen UVA.
- Consuming fried and spicy foods, coffee and alcohol may aggravate allergic reaction. Hence it is best to avoid these food stuffs.
In some cases, people get itching having shower because of the mineral content in water. They can use showerheads attached with filters to avoid these reactions. Sometimes, even installing a water purifier at home proved beneficial. However, remember that itchiness which occurs after exposure to water isnâ€™t water allergy. Consult a dermatologist if the skin itches after exposing to the water.