What is Chlorine Rash?
Chlorine rash is also called swimming pool rash. This occurs when your skin is exposed to high amounts of chlorine. It is used in swimming pools and sometimes in hot tubs also for eliminating bacteria that cause skin irritation and other health conditions. The chlorine must be added in permissible limits only. If excess chlorine is added to water and a person skin is exposed to such water then he can develop chlorine rashes. It is like a chemical dermatitis which is caused by bacteria called pseudomonas aeruginosa. People may contract chlorine rash even if they go for swimming in lakes, rivers or bathing tubs. Following are some measures to prevent chlorine rash
How to Prevent Chlorine Rash?
Here are some tips to prevent chlorine allergy rashes:
- In order to prevent chlorine rash, a person is recommended to take shower before and after swimming. Taking a shower with a chlorine removal shampoo and an antibacterial soap, post swimming helps in removing any chlorine remaining on the hair and skin, which can cause rash.
- It is better to use public pools that maintain a record of pH levels because any discrepancy in pH levels of water can cause bacterial rashes.
- Apply a good quality moisturizer on the skin after taking bath, post swimming. This helps in preventing chlorine rashes on body and face. Dry skin is more susceptible to contract chlorine rash allergic reaction than a well hydrated and moisturized skin.
- Nowadays there are several brands that have come-up with pre swimming creams and lotions. These lotions or creams must be applied on the skin before swimming so as to reduce the effects of the itching caused by chlorine rash. They form a protective layer on the skin that aids in blocking chlorine and thereby prevents skin disease and the rashes, itchiness or redness associated with skin ailment.
- There are some specially designed rubber pants for children. These are available in market and children can wear them while swimming.
- One must clean hot tubs at regular intervals in order to prevent breeding of bacteria.
Chlorine Rash Treatment:
You need not worry about chlorine rash because it can be treated at home. Place some ice cubes in a towel and apply it on the affected area for 10 minutes. Later apply hydrocortisone cream evenly on the skin. This cream helps in getting rid of itchiness and redness on the afflicted area.
Home Remedy for Chlorine Rash:
- You can also treat chlorine allergy rash at home itself. Add baking soda to bathing water and take bath with it. Or else add Â½ cup of baking soda to warm water and soak in for 15 minutes, rinse with cold water.
- Add sugar to almond oil and rub with it on afflicted area and let it stay for 15 minutes, rinse off.
Follow these home remedies along with the above mentioned treatment. This showed improvement in clearing the skin in a couple of weeks in most cases. However, consult the dermatologist if the rashes do not disappear in a couple of weeks.