What are the Top 10 Food Allergies?
are immune reactions from the body when it cannot identify and break down certain proteins present in food. A lot of similar bodily reactions like respiratory and breathing problems, skin rashes, gastrointestinal problems etc could be manifested from most allergies. However, there are about a handful of foods which are capable of causing extreme allergies. More than 3% of adults in the US alone have some form of food induced allergy.
It is very important to look for allergen information on the labels. These allergens when ingested could cause severe attacks.
What are the Top 10 Common Food Allergies?
– Milk is one of the biggest causes of such reactions in children under 3. Milk contains protein called casein and whey. Small kids and sometimes some adults are known to be lactose intolerant. What that mean is these individuals don’t have the enzymes necessary for them to break down the milk proteins found in dairy products.
However, most young children outgrow this condition beyond 5 years of age.
– Children as well as adults get affected by this wheat intolerance. In this case, they are severely allergic to the substance called gliadin present in the wheat protein known as gluten. A gluten free diet of rice, corn, amaranth, quinoa, tapioca etc is advised by the physician.
– It is the second most common food allergy in children. But the good news is that 80% children outgrow these symptoms by 5 years of age. Individuals having this condition have antibodies which react to the proteins found in the egg yolk and egg whites.
– Peanut allergy affects around 0.4-0.6% of the general population. It is different from other nut allergies. Hypersensitivity to the protein found in peanut could lead to severe anaphylactic attack calling for emergency medical attention.
– About 1.8 million Americans are allergic to tree nuts. Like peanuts, the other nuts like almond, cashew, pistachio, hazelnut etc could lead to this condition.
– Sea food and shell fish are another potent category. It includes crabs, oysters, shrimp, clams, squid etc. This particular hypersensitivity is mostly found in adults. Severe reactions could be caused by eating them or by being exposed to their vapors and smells in the process of cooking them.
– Generally cause a milder form of allergy than the others listed. The problem lies in the fact that most manufactured item lists soy as one of their ingredient. Hence, the emphasis again would be on label reading and keeping away from products containing it.
– Fish allergy is a common condition mostly among adults. About 2.3% of Americans suffer from this symptom. People hypersensitive to fish would be affected by most varieties of it, as most of them contain the same allergen. Any fish products like fish sauce, anchovies, fish roe, caviar etc should be kept away from.
– Citrus allergies affecting a few are not unheard of. Mild reactions like runny nose, itchy skin are common. In severe cases it could cause respiratory and digestive problems.
– A lot of times vegetables like eggplant, celery, beans, hot peppers and tomatoes are known to cause allergic reaction like that of redness and itching around the mouth. However, cooking can sometimes destroy the allergens.
– Yeast found in bread, beer and wine is something a lot of people report being allergic to. The only solution to this kind of
would be keeping away from food containing yeast.