Allergies

Fruit Allergies in Children

Fruit is one of the major foods introduced when transitioning a child from formulated food to regular food. But many children show allergic responses to certain types of fruits which may even lead to serious complications. The following article discusses about

fruit allergies in children.

Causes of Fruit Allergies in Children

The immune system in a child is set up in such a way that it can fight away the harmful microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses and irritants. Some children even develop immune responses to certain substances which are not harmful, like fruit. When any fruit is introduced into the body system, either by eating or by touching, there triggers an immune response. This causes IgE antibodies which are specific to that particular fruit and cause allergic reaction. The antibodies work in connection with mast cells which further produce allergic symptoms whenever the body senses comes in contact with the fruit.

Symptoms of Fruit Allergies

Symptoms vary depending on how severe the child’s body is affected by the fruit allergen. If the allergic reaction is mild, it leads to symptoms like mild swelling, itching, nausea, tingling sensation in the mouth and nasal congestion. If the allergic reaction is severe, symptoms like swelling in the throat and tongue, difficulty in breathing, abdominal pain, hives, vomiting, diarrhea, fainting and dizziness occur. Life threatening symptoms can also develop in some situations which include anaphylactic shock with a rapid heartbeat, tightening of airways and decrease in blood pressure.

Diagnosis

Certain fruit allergy symptoms in children are similar to some health conditions. Therefore, it is necessary to take your child to a physician for diagnosing the correct allergy. Skin tests are usually performed to determine what exactly the child is allergic to.

Treatment

There is no specific treatment when it comes to fruit allergies in children. The only way to prevent or cure the allergy is to avoid that specific fruit. If any serious reactions occurs after your child ingests the fruit, you need to take to a physician immediately. To prevent anaphylactic shock, you can take initial step by giving epinephrine injections, so as to calm down the symptoms.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *