Grape Allergy – Symptoms and Treatment
Food allergy is the most common problem that affects nearly 4% of adult people. While allergies to foods like soy, milk, eggs, wheat, shellfish, fish and nuts are common, allergy to any food type can occur. Grape allergy can cause reactions to grapes, its products like wine, juices and raisins. Grapes contain pesticides, yeast, sulfites and molds that usually cause allergies in some people. The immune system identifies these particular substances as allergens and therefore stimulates undesirable allergic reactions in the body. Let us know about the symptoms and treatment of grape allergy.
Symptoms of Grape Allergy
Symptoms appear gradually after consuming the fruit. It may take few minutes to an hour for the signs to develop. The symptoms include:
- Itchy rashes or hives
- Change in voice
- Shortness of breath
- Anaphylactic shock, a severe reaction which happens when immediate medical care is not sought
The signs and symptoms vary depending on the condition of the immune system of a person. People even face certain risks of cross-reactivity on consuming juices, wine and raisins. When you happen to suffer from these symptoms after eating grapes, you need to see a physician immediately. Blood test and skin pricking tests can help you to find out the correct allergen that is causing allergy.
Treatment for Grape Allergy
Grape allergy is just like any other food allergy. There is no cure for it. The treatment for this allergy mainly focuses on curbing the allergy symptoms of grapes. The best sensible approach is to avoid consuming grapes. Physicians usually prescribe medications such as antihistamines and epinephrine to treat the symptoms. Severe signs like anaphylactic shock requires hospitalization of the patient.
This is a brief note on symptoms and treatment for grape allergy.