Tests and Diagnosis

Your doctor may also recommend one or both of the following tests:

  • Skin Test: In this test, your skin is pricked. You are exposed to small amounts of
    proteins that are found in the potential allergen. If you are allergic to it then you have bumps or hives at the site of the skin.
  • Blood Test: A blood test called the RAST or radioallergosorbent are done to measure the immune system’s response to the allergen. This is done in a medical laboratory, where it is tested for the sensitivity to possible allergens.

If your doctor feels that these signs are caused by something other than an allergy, then you need other tests to identify the problem.